Quilt Inspector

Quilt Inspector
Wilbur, Quilt Inspector #3

Monday, February 5, 2018

Post Update: February 14, 2081

I FINISHED the quilt on February 12 but it took until today to get it on the bed so that I could take a photo.




Original posts for February, 2018:


I wish I could say that I have finished my quilt, but I'm getting closer at least!  This past weekend I got the layers basted and now I have started the quilting process.  I've already made the binding, so it will be ready to attach as soon as I am finished quilting.  I'm using large swirls on my Handi-Quilter Sweet Sixteen.  The swirls are made through ruler work using a template from Sparrow Quilts that allows the presser foot to ride in the grove.  I'm not very good at it yet, since I seem to have trouble holding it in place while maintaining a good quilting speed and moving that large quilt around.  I also can't figure out how to make the second row of quilting nest well with the one I've just done.  There's a definite learnng curve.  However the thread is light beige, the pattern is simple, and from a distance, those inconsistencies don't seem to show!

I added three strips around the edges to make a border so that the quilt will fit my bed better.



I've made this label and it is shown here on my backing fabric.



This is the ruler template I am using.  The ruler foot rides in the channel (if you can hold the template firmly enough) and when you get to the end, you leave the needle in and turn the template around to keep going.


I spray basted with 505 temporary fabric adhesive, using my fold-out work table.


As usual, I had some "help" from Wilbur.



On Friday, February 9, I finished quilting.  Over the weekend I hope to attach the binding to the front, and then hand-sew the binding to the back during the coming week.  (I added a few extra swirls here and there.)


Lizzy is glad she no longer has to fight for a space on the Hand-Quilter, since the quilting is done and she has good access again.  I have now even gotten the binding applied to the front and am ready to start hand-sewing the binding to the back of the quilt.


Post Update - February 18, 2018

A folded new quilt is a perfect place for Lizzy to nap in the sunshine that we've seen very little of in the past several months.






The hashtags for this mystery quilt, if you want to follow on social media, are: 
#onringolakequilt     #quiltvillemystery     








4 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful! It's going to look great quilted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really like it and will be keeping this one for myself!

      Delete
  2. I have three quilt inspectors too. They can take the "motion" out of free motion! And what would we do without all their love and kisses (cat hair)?

    Beautiful, and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My quilts are never finished until I wash the cat fur off. Of course, if the quilt stays here, the fur gets right back on again! :)

      Delete